Reading 4 min Views 1.9k.
The idea of putting a table in the kitchen by the window is far from new. But recently, an increasing number of varieties have appeared that can significantly change the design of the room and make it more practical. If the apartment is small and the kitchen is not striking in size, then a window sill in the form of a table will be a great solution to save space. There are several solutions, among which homeowners will be able to choose something suitable for themselves.
When all household appliances in the kitchen are arranged, then there may not be room for a table if you want to get enough space for work processes. Placing a countertop near the window in the kitchen becomes an excellent solution, since the window is not obstructed by household appliances, and the table practically does not interfere with anything here.
Such solutions will organically look even in large kitchens. In this case, even two tables can be installed, one at the window opening, and the second ordinary next to it, but not all rooms allow this. They are specially selected in different heights so that an ordinary one can be placed under a tabletop that does not have legs.
This is also a common way to deal with space shortage problems. It will not work to put a full-fledged rack in apartment conditions, but special alternative options are being created that are easily placed there. This will make the room more spacious and give an original place for eating and various gatherings. It doesn’t have to be the main table. It can be used in addition to placing dishes and other kitchen utensils.
Window sill — dining table
If the window block has a depth of more than 35 cm in length, and there are no large objects around the window opening, then this is quite feasible. The large depth will enable the table to be securely fastened, which provides a sufficient level of reliability. Such a dining table by the window can accommodate about 4 people, but most often it is 2–3 people, depending on the size of the room.
Advantages and disadvantages
Each case has its pros and cons. When choosing the right option for kitchens, it is worth considering all these factors in order to make the right choice. The positives include the following:
- Improved ergonomics of the room;
- The influx of natural light, which helps to save on artificial;
- You can install additional cabinets and drawers, not to mention a dishwasher or washing machine;
- A clear zoning of the room is created, so that in a room of any size it becomes more and more ordered;
- The presence of a live picturesque picture outside the window, which helps to distract from the routine;
- Attractive U‑shaped floor plan.
A kitchen with a table by the window may also have a number of disadvantages that will be a serious problem in some cases:
- Near the window, the convention is violated, since a partially or completely closed radiator no longer creates the required level of thermal curtain;
- The instability of the structure under frequent loads, which is especially typical for a large family, leads to loosening of the slopes, and the window frames are susceptible to deformation;
- The dining area pollutes the surface of the slopes and adjacent parts;
- Good lighting with natural light turns into the fact that at night from the side of the street with the lights on, the whole meal is in full view of passers-by.
When choosing a design, do not forget what the kitchen table by the window will be made of. When choosing a material, you need to pay attention to heat and moisture resistance. The possibility of easy cleaning of dirt is also welcome. After all, everything must be done so that the design not only looks very beautiful in good light, but is also practical. It is recommended to use the following materials:
|This is a presentable, in terms of appearance, material with a relatively low weight. A beautiful natural shade and the absence of micropores make it in demand in this area.
|Wooden boards MDF and HDF.
|Differ in stability and durability. They are not afraid of moisture and can be easily processed. As a result, a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colors can be found on the market.
|Moisture resistant plywood, the thickness of which is from 15 mm.
|The material is coated with special protective varnishes. The ends are closed with a furniture edge, which sits on the glue. This is an inexpensive and relatively practical option.
|Natural granite, marble or onyx.
|Differ in durability and without problems transfer high loadings. On the other hand, these are expensive and heavy materials, so installation will not be easy.
|Special care and handling is required. The material is lightweight but expensive. Fits perfectly into any interior design.